Windows 11, as an operating system, has great appeal in terms of aesthetics, features, and usability. However, one has to meet Microsoft’s strict system requirements to download Windows 11.
If you have an old or underperforming PC, you might not be one of the lucky ones to enjoy Windows 11. However, worry not! Windows 11 lite version can be your savior. It’s the most lightweight version of Windows with no strict hardware requirements and can be installed on any computer.
As the Windows 11 lite version isn’t an official version released by Microsoft, you can’t go and get it from the official Microsoft website. Although you still need the original product key as a user to activate Windows, you’ll need to download the Windows 11 lite version (Tiny11) ISO file on your PC.
What Is Windows 11 Lite Version?
Windows Tiny11, or Windows 11 lite version, is a fine-tuned custom version of Windows 11. It has been designed to operate on less powerful computers, only requiring 8GB of storage (as opposed to Windows 11’s 20 GB). Plus, it barely requires RAM (only 2 GB or so).
You can skip downloading or reserving space for all the extra bloatware. Windows Tiny11 was created by NTDev, by cutting out other rudimentary apps like Paint or Microsoft Edge. You’ll still have access to core Windows apps like Calculator or Notepad.
In the stripped-down version of Windows 11, you’ll not be boggled down by security requirements such as a secure boot or TPM (trusted platform module) for hardware.
Disclaimer: It is worth mentioning that Windows Tiny11 can only be built on Windows Pro, and not other versions. Moreover, to build Windows Tiny11 on your computer, you need to have the original Windows key as a user.
Why Should You Install Windows Tiny11?
Windows Tiny11, or Windows 11 lite version, won’t update automatically or won’t have access to official support. Despite all that, Windows Tiny11 is a pretty good deal, and here’s why you should install it:
- Reduced bloatware makes it a very lightweight operating system
- Windows Tiny11 gives you the benefits of Windows 11, even if your PC is old
- That being said, Windows Tiny11 doesn’t have strict hardware requirements
- Windows Tiny11 will run on 2 GB RAM and 8 GB of storage
- Windows Tiny11 will have core apps like Notepad but will ditch redundant ones like Microsoft Edge
- Windows Tiny11 also doesn’t force security requirements like trusted platform modules for hardware on your PC
- Most of all, you get to enjoy the standard features of Windows 11 on underperforming or old PCs
Windows 11 vs. Windows 11 Lite
If you want to take a comprehensive look at all the ways in which Windows 11 lite version differs from Windows 11’s official version, take a look at the pointers we’ve covered below:
|Windows 11||Windows 11 Lite|
|Version||Windows 11 is the official |
version, released by
|Windows 11 lite is the |
released by NTDev
|Speed||Not as fast or lightweight|
|Faster and lightweight, |
|Support||Windows 11 will also have |
access to official support
|Windows Tiny11 will |
have no official support
|Updates||Windows 11 will get |
|You’ve to manually update|
Windows Tiny11 everytime
|Storage||Windows 11 requires |
20 GB of storage for
|Windows Tiny11 requires |
total 8 GB for easy installation
(6.34 GB for the OS
and remaining for apps)
|RAM||Windows 11 can require |
4 – 8 GB of RAM to run
|Windows Tiny11 can require |
200 MB – 2 GB of RAM to run
|Security||Windows 11 comes with |
security boot or related hardware
|Windows Tiny11 ditches |
trusted platform modules
and similar security
requirements for hardware
|Apps||Windows 11 will come with |
apps like Paint, Edge,
|Windows Tiny11 comes with |
core apps like Notepad
and Calculator, but doesn’t force
useless yet heavy apps like Edge
|Machine Build||Windows 11 works for |
newer builds, not perfect
for old or under-powered setups
|Windows Tiny11 has been created|
for smaller or older builds
It is worth mentioning once more that Windows Tiny11, if not installed properly, can break your system or expose you to security risks.
So, proceed with caution and only when you’re sure of what you’re doing. Also, if you miss the Windows 11 apps, here are better app alternatives you can install and run for a better experience!
How to Install Windows Tiny11
Repeat the following methods to prepare your computer before creating a customized Windows 11 ISO file with Tiny11 Builder.
#1. Download the Windows Tiny11 ISO file and Tiny11 Builder
- You can download Windows 11 22621.1265 or 22621.525 from UUPDump
- You can also download the Windows ISO file version 22H2 (22621.525) from the Microsoft official website
- Go to Search > System Information > System Type to determine whether your PC needs the x64 or arm64 version
- Right-click on the downloaded ISO file and select Mount
- Next, go to theTiny11 Builder GitHub page
- Download the Tiny11 Builder tool by clicking on Code towards the right of your screen and selecting Download ZIP
- Right-click the downloaded ZIP and click on Extract All to a convenient location in your disk drive
- If you’ve downloaded the 22621.525 version, you need to run the tiny11 creator 22621.525.bat as an administrator by right-clicking on it, and if you’re working with the 22621.1265, you should use the tiny11creator.bat script
- If you’re being prevented by Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, click on More Info and select Run Anyway
- You’ll be required to enter the drive letter where you’ve mounted the image in the Administrator terminal that opens up and press Enter
- You’ll be asked to provide the image index. This is important if you have multiple images in your drive letter; you’ll be asked to choose the one you want to work with. If you have no additional images, your index number should be 1.
- Once the operation’s completed successfully, your tiny11.iso file will be ready. It can be accessed in the folder from where you ran the .bat file.
#2. Steps to Create a Partition to Install Windows Tiny11
- Go toControl Panel>System & Security>Administrative Tools
- Proceed toComputer Managementand selectStoragefrom your left.
- Click onDisk Managementand right-click on the unallocated space to create a partition.
- If you don’t have unallocated space, you can right-click on an existing partition and click Shrink Volume.
- Once you’re able to create or find unallocated space, you can right-click and select “New Simple Volume”
- You can follow a set-up wizard and give it a name, and assign a letter to your new drive
- You can name it Windows Tiny11 for convenience’s sake.
- Click on Finish, and the new partition will be created for your Windows Tiny11.
#3. How to Burn the Windows 11 Lite ISO File Onto a Pen Drive
Once you’ve created space for Windows 11 Lite on your PC, you’ll need to burn the ISO file onto a pen drive to facilitate the installation process. You need to download Rufus for this purpose. Once you have Rufus, plug in your pen drive and follow the steps below:
- To begin, open Rufus and select your pen drive by clicking on the drop-down menu that’s next to the Device.
- Below, you’ll be required to choose the ISO image in the boot selection.
- Browse through the original folder where you’ve stored your ISO image, select the file, and click Open.
- You don’t need to change any other options; just click on Start.
- Rufus will ask your permission to format your pen drive. Click OK
- The process can take up to 10 –15 minutes.
- Once you see the message Ready, you can click on Close and remove your pen drive.
#4. How to Install Windows 11 Lite
To install Windows 11 Lite, plug in your pen drive and follow the steps below:
- Press your power button to start your PC, but keep hitting the BIOS hotkey (F2, F8, F10, or F12, depending on your device) to open your BIOS on your PC.
- You can also enter BIOS settings by searching for Change Advanced Startup options on your Search Bar.
- Click on Restart now and remember all the activity you’ll be required to do in the BIOS window henceforth should be carried out using your keyboard only.
- Once the BIOS window has opened, find your Boot Order menu and select your pen drive as the USB drive you want to boot from.
- The Windows setup will open, and you can follow the steps of a normal setup.
- You’ll come to a screen where you’re required to select a partition; select the one you’ve created earlier in the process and named Windows Tiny11.
- Depending on the state your PC is in, this process might take a while to complete.
- That’s it! Windows 11 Lite is now installed on your device and is good to go.
If you want to compress Windows 11 Lite further and put your security risks to a minimum, take a look at the next section. This step is optional, but we do recommend you try it for security reasons.
How to Debloat Your Windows Tiny11 to Make It Safer and Lighter
Debloating can not only help you make your Windows 11 lite safer but also get rid of unnecessary apps that might eat away at essential storage space.
If you’re also looking to remove tracking services that might be running in the background, debloating is a sure-shot way to get them. Here are the steps to debloat using a tool called BloatyNosy (formerly Debloos):
- Go to GitHub’s website and jump to BloatyNosy under Github’s releases.
- Scroll down to assets, and download BloatyNosyApp.zip to save the file to your device.
- Open the downloaded file, and click on Extract all.
- Once you’ve clicked the Extract button, you can open the BloatyNosy folder.
- Go on to launch the file by double-clicking the BloatNosy.exe file.
- Click on More Info, and if you find a Run anyway button, press that Analyze Windows and Fix options.
- Click on Analyze to see what the issues are with your PC, and then click on the drop-down and choose to Apply Fixes. And you’re done!
You’re also free to debloat your Windows 11 lite version using other ways like running tried and tested debloated scripts.
That’s all! Enjoy your Windows Tiny PC with the fastest speed and lightest build out there.
Things You Need for Windows Tiny11
To begin your Windows Tiny11 installation process, you’ll need to keep a few things handy:
- Download the free utility software, Rufus, to create a bootable USB drive
- As you’ll be dealing with ISO images, you’ll need a pen drive to complete the installation
- You’ll also need to create a dedicated partition to store the files (process mentioned above); we recommend you keep two CPU cores reserved for this purpose
While plenty of redundant apps like Clipchamp, Office Hub, Maps, Media Player, and others have been removed altogether, Microsoft Teams and Cortana are still a part of the Windows 11 lite version.
Although Xbox has been deleted, the Xbox Identity Provider is still available. So, the app can be reinstalled easily for gaming enthusiasts. Now, don’t be alarmed if you see the Edge icon and taskbar pin on the screen. That’s just a ghost version: Microsoft Edge has been removed.
As for languages, only the US version (en-us x64) is supported by Windows 11 lite version. You can fix this manually by replacing the instance of en-us with the language needed (such as en-gb or en-jm). Replace the x64 instance with arm64 if your processor is different.
When it comes to installing Windows 11 lite, you can say that the process is a little tricky. If you have completed installations using ISO files, you’ll find this installation process to be a cakewalk!
Now, once you have downloaded and installed Windows 11 lite following the steps mentioned above, you can be sure to save a ton of space. This is a perfect solution for PCs that are underpowered, have smaller builds, and don’t have a lot of storage space or RAM to support the Windows 11 official version.
You’ll get no official support or automatic updates for Windows Tiny11, but if your PC doesn’t support Windows due to the nature of hardware or security restrictions, you should give this a shot.
You may also explore some Security apps to fortify Windows 11 security.
- Press the 'Power On' button on your PC and repeatedly press the BIOS button. ...
- Once you are in the BIOS settings, find the Boot Order menu and choose the pen drive to boot from.
- Download Rufus, launch it, connect a USB flash drive to your PC, and create a bootable USB drive.
- Restart your PC to enter BIOS and change the boot order to let Windows run from the USB drive.
- Then the setup appears. ...
- Accept the Microsoft Software license Terms.
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC). 4 gigabyte (GB). 64 GB or larger storage device Note: See below under “More information on storage space to keep Windows 11 up-to-date” for more details.How to install Windows 11 step by step? ›
We recommend you wait until your device has been offered the upgrade to Windows 11 before you use the Installation Assistant. When you're ready, you can find it on the Windows 11 software download page. On the Windows 11 software download page, select Create tool now and follow the instructions to install Windows 11.What is the smallest version of Windows 11? ›
The tiniest operating system of them all.How to install Tiny11? ›
To install Tiny11 OS, download the Tiny11 ISO image from the Internet Archive or the Tiny11 OS GitHub project page. Once you have downloaded the ISO file, you can create a bootable USB drive using software like Rufus or Balena Etcher.Is Tiny Windows 11 free? ›
NTDEV released its version of Windows 11 named Tiny11 in February 2023 which works like a normal Windows 11 installation. It is a freely available ISO image file that you can download and use on your computer.Is Tiny Windows 11 legal? ›
Legally, it's a very grey area, but there's usually some real gems in there, such as this one. As the creator emphasises – this isn't for production use or for any machine that can run regular Windows 11, but it might be useful in certain niche applications or on older hardware.Does Tiny11 need activation? ›
The installer requires you to activate Windows, so that's probably a good thing from a legal standpoint. Besides being compressed, the installer, based on Window 11 Pro 22H2, removes sponsored applications and Teams.What is the difference between Tiny11 and Windows 11? ›
Tiny11 is a custom image of Windows 11 (version 22H2) that has all the “unnecessary” elements stripped out, such as many of the default applications, services, and features. The idea of Tiny11 is to have the ability to install the operating system on low-end devices since it only requires 2GB of RAM and 8GB of storage.
- Connect the installation media (USB flash drive) to your computer.
- Power on the computer and select the boot option as the USB flash drive, here you can learn more about How to boot the system from USB drive.
- The computer will enter Windows Setup. ...
- Click [Install now]③.
If you have a computer with unsupported hardware, you may still upgrade to Windows 11. But you won't do this from Windows Update. Instead, you will have to bypass some security restrictions and use a bootable USB flash drive or ISO file to perform a clean install or in-place upgrade manually.Can you manually install Windows 11? ›
UPDATED 4/12/2023: If you have a computer with unsupported hardware, you may upgrade to Windows 11, but not through Windows Update. Instead, you must use a bootable USB flash drive or ISO file to perform a clean install or in-place upgrade manually.What key do I press to install Windows 11? ›
Your USB drive should appear listed. Choose it, and Windows will restart to your USB drive and Windows 11 installer. If you don't see this option, you'll need to head into your BIOS or UEFI to manually boot from the USB drive. Usually, you can do this by pressing F12 on boot as soon as you turn on your PC.How much RAM does tiny 11 need? ›
Based on my experience, I can say that, while Tiny11 will run on a system with just 2GB of RAM, it does better on one that has at least 4GB. You'll want that headroom for any apps you're running within the OS.Is Windows 11 slow on old PC? ›
Windows 11 does a lot under the hood to speed up a PC's performance. The same PC will generally run faster on Windows 11 than Windows 10. But no matter how zippy your Windows 11 may be, it can run faster. And keep in mind that PCs tend to slow down over time, and you want to make sure that doesn't happen to yours.Can Windows 11 run on older computers? ›
The processor requirement is the most restrictive; supported processors include 8th-generation and newer Intel Core processors as well as AMD Ryzen 2000-series processors and newer. These are all chips that launched in late 2017 and early 2018. Older computers can't officially run Windows 11.Does tiny 11 delete everything? ›
Important: This process will delete everything on your device. It's recommended to make a full backup of your computer before proceeding. You've been warned.Can Tiny11 be updated? ›
The OS also does away with security requirements like TPM and Secure Boot. While there are some obvious perks with Tiny11, it doesn't mean that there are no downsides. There's no official support for Tiny11, meaning it won't get any automatic updates.What are the disadvantages of tiny 11? ›
What is the downside of tiny11? To get this working, however, NTDEV has to cut off several Windows features from tiny11 that require a lot of space. Designed to bring life to old computers, tiny11 removes Windows Component Store (WinSxS) and disables installation of new features or languages.
On average, Windows 11 uses about 4 GB of RAM.
This requires a fair amount of RAM to run, so it's not surprising that Windows 11 uses more memory at some points. While it's true that Windows 11 uses more RAM than Windows 10, it doesn't mean that it's a bad operating system.
To experience this brand-new system, Tiny11 is popular with many users who have old or unsupported PCs. This Windows 11 lite version removes many cumbersome components and apps to run smoothly on a device with 8GB of disk space and 2 GB of RAM.Is tiny 11 fast? ›
Tiny11 is definitely a better alternative for users who want to install it on their Virtual Machine. Many users find it faster than the standard Windows 11 for running in a virtual environment, given its small size and the lack of “bloatware”.How much space does Tiny11 take? ›
Of course there are, but Tiny11 is still interesting. It's a version of Windows 11 Pro that's been stripped down such that it takes up about 8 GB of disk space when installed vs. the normal 20+ GB. You can use it on supported PCs with as little as 2 GB of RAM.Can 2GB RAM run Windows 11? ›
You can't install Windows 11 on a system with 2GB of RAM because it runs a system compatibility check before attempting an installation, and if it doesn't see 4GB of RAM, it will abandon the installation.How do I activate Windows 11 for free permanently? ›
Step 1: Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type Settings, and click Open. Step 2: Under System, scroll down and click on the Activation option. Step 3: Click on Open Store beside 'Get a new license in the Microsoft Store app.'Can I install tiny11 without losing data? ›
You don't. Installing an operating system installs it with the data it was created with. If you want to keep your existing data, back all of itup first, install Tiny 11, then restore your data. (Make sure the backup program can run in Tiny 11, so you can restore it.)Is Windows 11 better then Windows 10? ›
The answer to the question, “Is Windows 10 or 11 better?” depends on your unique needs. Windows 10 is a solid operating system that can allow you to work, play, and interact with useful apps. And Windows 11 can help you in the same way, but with enhanced features for gaming and interface layouts.What is Windows 11 removing? ›
- Folders and groups (reinstated in February 2022 insider builds)
- Live tiles (the Widgets panel provides portions of what the live tiles of Windows 10's bundled apps once provided)
- Recent and pinned files on pinned apps.
Benchmarks have shown that even with minimalistic enterprise w11 instalation there is no benefit in terms of gaming performance.
- Check that your PC is compatible.
- Upgrade to Windows 11 for free using Windows Update.
- Update to Windows 11 for free using the Installation Assistant.
- Update to Windows 11 for free using the Media Creation Tool.
- Get Windows 11 for 'free' when you buy a new PC.
If you want to buy a license by itself, the Windows 11 Home edition will cost $139.99, while Pro will cost $199.99. However, most laptops will just come with either one preinstalled. If you have Windows 11 Home and you want to upgrade to Pro, that will cost you $99.99.Why can't i install Windows 11 on USB drive? ›
Your system BIOS can't find the bootable USB drive because of a faulty port or cable. It may also happen if the USB drive is corrupt or damaged. If the USB drive is too old, Windows 11 might not recognize it. For example, USB 1.0 or 2.0 is not compatible in this situation.How to bypass Windows 11 without Microsoft account? ›
- Start the Window 11 setup.
- When you see the Let's connect you to a network screen with the grayed-out Next button, press Shift + F10. ...
- Now run the following command at the command prompt: oobe\BypassNRO.
- Settings. Select the Start button, then click on Settings.
- Update & Security. Click on Update & Security.
- Windows Update. Select Check for updates to see if your PC can run Windows 11, or if the upgrade is ready for your PC.
In Command Prompt, type the OOBE\BYPASSNRO command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter. The computer will restart automatically, and the out-of-box experience (OOBE) will start again.How to install Windows 11 without USB or disc? ›
- Download Windows 11 ISO file.
- Right-click the ISO file, select the Open with submenu, and choose the Windows Explorer option.
- Click on the mounted drive from the left navigation pane.
- Double-click the Setup file to begin the Windows 11 upgrade process.
If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.Why can't i update to Windows 11? ›
This may signify that your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to download or install the upgrade to Windows 11. Learn more about the minimum requirements for Windows 11. This might indicate that a driver or other software on your PC isn't compatible with the upgrade to Windows 11.Can I install Windows 11 without boot? ›
You can install Windows 11 without Secure Boot. However running Windows 11 without Secure Boot may result in instability on the system and you may not receive updates from Microsoft.
Restart your PC while holding the Shift key to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Once in the Windows Recovery Environment, choose to boot from the USB drive. On the Windows Setup page, select your language, time and keyboard preferences and then select Next. Select Install now.How to install Windows on a computer step by step? ›
- Step 1 - Format the drive and set the primary partition as active. Connect the USB flash drive to your technician PC. ...
- Step 2 - Copy Windows Setup to the USB flash drive. Use File Explorer to copy and paste the entire contents of the Windows product DVD or ISO to the USB flash drive. ...
- Step 3 - Install Windows to the new PC.
General: Between 10 and 20 minutes. On different devices, Windows 11 is installed at different times. For example, it only takes about 10 minutes to update on the latest SSD. Updates on older computers can take more than 20 minutes or even hours.How to install Windows 11 Lite without losing data? ›
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Look for Feature update to Windows 11.
- Click Download and install.
Windows 11 Lite is not a Microsoft official product, so you need to make sure the download file is not full of malware ready to take over your computer.How do I install Windows Defender on Windows 11 Lite? ›
Find Microsoft Defender on your Start menu, right-click it and select Uninstall. If you uninstall the app it will not be automatically reinstalled. You can reinstall it manually by going to https://aka.ms/WindowsDefender and selecting Install. Note: Microsoft Defender on Mac requires macOS 10.14 or later.Is there a Windows 11 LTSC? ›
Windows 11 LTSC
It's important for organizations to have adequate time to plan for adopting Windows 11. Today we're announcing that the next Windows LTSC releases will be available in the second half of 2024: Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC.
Windows 11 Lite is a lightweight version of Windows 11 that only includes the fundamental files that are required for the operating system to function properly. It removes much software that is not commonly used, for example, Microsoft Store, Windows Defender, Xbox Services, and so on.How much RAM do I need for Windows 11 Lite? ›
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC). Memory: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater. Storage: 64 GB or greater available disk space. There might be more storage requirements over time for updates, and to enable specific features within the OS.Is there a fake Windows 11 update? ›
A fake Windows 11 upgrade is being used to attack victims and collect their web browser cookies and other stored credentials. Cybercrimes have seen an increase during the pandemic with different types of attacks such as phishing, ransomware, and crypto scams.
First, it's neither developed nor supported by Microsoft, and they are definitely not okay with it. So, there can never be a dependable place to download the Tiny 11 iso. You always have a risk of downloading malware or viruses because you cannot guarantee the file's safety unless you specifically run tests on it.Can you update Tiny11? ›
This is a 64-bit system, after all. Tiny11 lets you install monthly security updates, I'm told but its makers say that it is not serviceable, which I took to mean that you can't upgrade it to the next Windows 11 version or add other new features through Windows Update.How to install Windows 11 from USB for free? ›
- Check for compatibility. ...
- Check your device for available memory. ...
- Download the ISO file to your device (another device) ...
- Remove the USB. ...
- Run Windows 11 from a USB. ...
- Set up Windows 11.
- Mount the downloaded ISO image using Windows Explorer.
- For .1265, run tiny11 creator.bat as administrator. ...
- Select the drive letter where the image is mounted (only the letter, no colon (:))
- Select the SKU that you want the image to be based.
- Sit back and relax :)
The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC)
|LTSC release||Equivalent GA Channel release||Availability date|
|Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021||Windows 10, Version 21H2||11/16/2021|
Microsoft Windows Server LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is a servicing option for Microsoft's server operating system that follows the familiar track of two to three years between feature updates.How much does Windows LTSC cost? ›
|Description||Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC Value - License - 1 license - ESD|